Q:

What types of products does Komatsu make?

A:

Quick Answer

Komatsu is a Japanese multinational corporation that produces industrial equipment such as diesel generators, lasers, press machines, forestry machines and sheet-metal machines. The company is one of the largest manufacturers of construction, mining and utility equipment. Some of their products include the FG30T forklift truck, EGS-series generator and 901 wheeled harvester. In 2008, Komatsu launched the PC200-8 Hybrid, an excavator that stored power from braking to reduce fuel costs.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

In addition to their products, Komatsu also offers services such as KOMTRAX, which installs devices on machines to track their locations using GPS. Another solution from Komatsu is the Autonomous Haulage System, a remote-control system used to operate large, driverless dump trucks.

Komatsu Ltd. first began in 1917 as Komatsu Iron Works, a subsidiary of Takeuchi Mining Industry, to make industrial tools for its parent company. The company eventually became a separate company in 1921, moving on to develop its first sheet press in 1924. The company entered the U.S. market in 1967, becoming a competitor of Caterpillar.

As of March 31, 2015, the net sales of Komatsu were 89 percent from construction, mining and utility equipment with the remaining 11 percent of sales coming from industrial machinery and other sources.

Learn more about Manufacturing

Related Questions

Explore