What Are Some Types of Financial Assistance Available for a Single Mother Going to College?


Quick Answer

Available financial assistance for single mothers going to college include federal grants, state grants, school-provided scholarships and private scholarships, reports Federal Student Aid. A number of private student aid grants specifically target women and single parents, points out HowStuffWorks.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The U.S. Department of Education awards several grants to students based on financial need, including Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grants, explains Federal Student Aid. Application for these grants requires the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. State grant agencies and career school or college financial aid offices can provide additional information about financial assistance resources.

Other possible sources of college financial assistance information include the free scholarship search tool on the U.S. Department of Labor website, foundations and community organizations, and professional associations. Legitimate organizations offer information on their scholarship or grant programs for free, according to Federal Student Aid.

Private foundations that offer grants or scholarships for single parents include Soroptimist Women's Opportunity Awards, Raise the Nation and Denny's Single Parent Student Scholarship, according to HowStuffWorks. Scholarships specifically for adult women include the Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation Scholarship for Mature Women and the Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarships.

Learn more about Credit & Lending

Related Questions