What Type of Grants Are Available for Parolees?


Quick Answer

Parolees are eligible to apply for federal student aid, though there are restrictions for individuals with drug or sexual violence convictions, according to the U.S. Department of Education. However, most grants for parolees are available in the form of funds for programs that support the rehabilitation of parolees rather than grants that parolees can apply for directly, states Michelle Diane for the Houston Chronicle.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Most states offer grants that support parolee rehabilitation programs available through 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, explains Diane. The U.S. Department of Justice awards funding to law enforcement agencies that support the creation and maintenance of facilities, staff and programs for parolees. These state-administered programs include educational and employment assistance and drug and alcohol rehabilitation. In addition, in 2001, the Bureau of Justice Assistance established Project Safe Neighborhoods, which provides grants to regional parole departments whose parolee clients are at risk of gang influence.

Private foundations also provide funding for organizations that offer services for parolees, notes Diane. These grants are usually designated for specific regions. For example, in 2014, the Robin Hood Foundation, which provides grants to New York City-based organizations, awarded a grant to the Center for Employment Opportunities to help formerly incarcerated individuals and parolees find work, according to its website.

Learn more about Credit & Lending

Related Questions