How Do You Get a TWIC Card at the Office?


Quick Answer

To receive a TWIC card, make an appointment at a Transportation Security Administration enrollment center; the card is not obtained through private employers or offices. Bring all requested identity documents and complete the application at the enrollment center.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Acceptable forms of identification for natural-born U.S. citizens include an unexpired passport, tribal card or enhanced driver's license. Documents used to expedite entry into the U.S., such as Global Entry cards or Nexus cards, are acceptable identity documents if the card states its holder is a U.S. citizen. If none of these documents is available, it is acceptable to use a photo ID such as a non-enhanced U.S. driver's license, federal government or state university identification, military ID card or passport that has been expired for less than 12 months. If documents from the second list are used, the applicant must provide two forms.

TWIC cards are required of all personnel who have unsupervised access to the U.S. maritime infrastructure. Employers are required to notify employees when a TWIC card is required. The standard processing time for a TWIC card application is six to eight weeks, but may take up to 12 weeks; the TSA recommends applying for a TWIC card 10 to 12 weeks in advance if possible.

Learn more about Careers

Related Questions