How Do You Transfer Your Stocks?


Quick Answer

Transferring stocks involves reregistering the name on the stock registration certificate using a stock power form, as The Nest explains. If your stocks are managed by a stockbroker, your brokerage house can handle most of the transfer paperwork.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If your brokerage firm holds your stocks in its name, reregistering the stock certificates isn't necessary, and you can handle the change in ownership as an internal matter with the firm, according to The Nest. Otherwise, download and fill out a stock power form including the exact registration information that appears on the stock certificate and the precise new registration information for the person or entity to whom you're transferring the stock. Sign the stock power form, and receive a medallion signature guarantee for your signature. Deliver the stock power form to the transfer agent or your broker.

Learn more about Investing

Related Questions