What Are the Steps Involved in Getting an EAD?


Quick Answer

To get an employment authorization document, it requires paying a fee and submitting a series of forms. All forms must be submitted to be eligible for the employment authorization document.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The employment authorization document, or EAD, is a document that allows foreign individuals to work in the U.S. legally. The official form to file for getting the EAD is the I-765 form, though there are also other forms that need to be filled out if the person also needs the deferred action for childhood arrivals, or DACA. It is important to look at the edition date of the form and make sure it is the most recent version of the form.

The I-765 form has full instructions for how to fill it out and what documents need to be attached to it. It also has a filing address of where to send it or turn it in in person. There are different eligibility categories in Question 16 of the form that determine where to file it.

The fee for the I-765 form is $380 per person, as of 2015. To get the DACA form filed, it requires an additional $85. The DACA form is the I-821D form in addition to the I-7665 application and worksheet forms.

Learn more about Careers

Related Questions