To start a clothing company, decide on a target market, write up a business plan, calculate start-up costs, figure out business policies and a marketing plan, choose a location, and hire employees and suppliers. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of the clothing industry prior to opening a clothing store.
For those people who are interested in the clothing industry, opening a clothing store might seem like a logical step. There are certain steps to follow, however, to help ensure success.
- Decide on the target market Do some research and determine what the target market is. Some examples are children, high-end fashion or trendy.
- Come up with a business plan and startup costs A business plan includes information such as the target market, business policies and financial projections. Startup costs include rent, costs of goods and operation costs.
- Detail specific business policies While business policies are generally mentioned in a business plan, it is important to enumerate them separately. Some examples are store hours, return policies, layaway policies, e-commerce and credit card acceptance.
- Determine a marketing plan The advertising and marketing should be structured around the target market. Billboards as well as newspaper and television ads are some examples.
- Prepare to open Once everything else is in place, find a location for the store, hire employees and find suppliers.