What sorts of jobs are commonly posted at universities?


Quick Answer

Job openings for universities vary from full-time faculty positions to part-time instructors or visiting lecturers. Additional jobs include writing consultant, tutor and various administrative positions. Interested applicants can find job postings in these fields either on generic search websites like Indeed.com, education-oriented websites such as HigherEdJobs.com or on university websites.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Full-time faculty typically have more teaching-and-research responsibilities than part-time faculty or instructors. Full-time faculty may serve on committees, help develop school curriculum and, depending on the school, have the opportunity for tenure. Applicants can often send in their resumes for full-time faculty positions through university websites or associated services. For example, as of August 2015, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago has on its full-time faculty openings page a link to program called Slide Room through which applicants can send in employment material. SAIC details applicant requirements for each entry. Part-time faculty or instructor positions have similar application procedures, but do not have all of the benefits as a full-time faculty position, though they may also have less prerequisites for application.

University administrative positions include registrars, executive assistants, financial-aid advisers, curriculum designers and school-publication editors. As with faculty positions, these presuppose relevant background education and experience, which are detailed alongside position information.

Learn more about Careers

Related Questions