Who Should File a 1040 Tax Form?


Quick Answer

A taxpayer must file a 1040 if his taxable income is greater than or equal to $100,000, if he owes household employment taxes, and if he itemizes deductions or claims certain credits or income adjustments, according to the Internal Revenue Service's website. There are also certain types of income that require a taxpayer to file a Form 1040.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Taxpayers who have income such as insurance policy dividends (if the dividend amount is greater than the net total of all the premiums paid on the contract), revenue earned from self-employment, unreported tips, or earnings received from being a shareholder or partner in an S corporation, are required to file a Form 1040, per the IRS website. The IRS website reports that taxpayers may file a form 1040EZ or a form 1040A if certain conditions are met.

According to the IRS, nonresident aliens may need to file a form 1040NR or a form 1040NR-EZ, unless they were married to a United States citizen or resident alien and are filing jointly with their spouse. Depending on credits, deductions, profits and losses, and other tax liabilities an individual has, they may also be required to fill out additional schedules to attach to their form 1040. The IRS website has a full list of additional schedules with instructions for filing each one.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions