What Should Be Done If Your Medicare Card Is Lost?


Quick Answer

If you lose your Medicare card, get a replacement through your online My Social Security account, reports the Social Security Administration. Alternatively, call a toll-free phone number, or request a replacement card from the local Social Security office.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To create a My Social Security account, go to the SSA.gov main page, scroll down, and click on the My Social Security icon, explains the Social Security Administration. Click on Create an Account, and follow the instructions to choose a username and password. After logging in to your new account, select Replacement Documents, and then click on Mail My Replacement Medicare Card. You should receive your replacement card in about one month by post. Using a My Social Security account, you can also monitor your Social Security benefit information, change contact or financial information for Social Security payments, and request benefit verification letters and tax documents.

To find the Social Security toll-free phone number, go to SSA.gov, scroll down, click on Contact Us, and then click on Call Us, according to the Social Security Administration. The phone lines are staffed Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. as of 2015. To find the address, phone number and hours of operation of your local Social Security office, click on Contact Us, click on Find an Office, enter your ZIP code and click on Locate.

Learn more about Health Insurance

Related Questions