Who Should Be Contacted About Changing an Address?


Quick Answer

Contact utility companies, government agencies, financial institutions and educational facilities prior to a permanent address change. If an address change is temporary and expected to last for less than 30 days, an individual or business can register for complimentary mail-holding service from the U.S. Postal Service.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Some address changes must be done in person, while other agencies, such as the Social Security Administration, have online tools available. Individuals can change the address for multiple benefit accounts, including disability and Medicare, by logging into the Social Security website. Postal address changes for 12-month mail-forwarding services can also be done online, although a small fee is required to verify the user's identity.

When mail is forwarded to a new address, the sender does not automatically receive information about the recipient's change of address. Each utility account, government office and state agency must be contacted so that they can update the address in their records. People should also notify employers of a move to a new location so that W-2 forms are not delayed during tax season.

Magazine publishers, catalog companies and newspapers should be informed when an address changes. People should also update companies that provide services to the home, such as pool cleaners or lawn-care specialists, when moving to a new residence.

Learn more about Postal Services

Related Questions