How Do You Find Section 8 Places for Rent?


Quick Answer

An online database on the website of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development lists every rental property that takes part in the privately owned subsidised housing program. Applicants wishing to inquire about public housing should contact their local public housing authority, according to HUD.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

According to its website, HUD runs three types of housing subsidy programs: privately owned subsidized housing, the housing choice voucher program and public housing. In the privately owned subsidized housing program, rental property owners agree to rent a portion of their available units at a discounted rate to tenants who qualify for HUD assistance. HUD, in turn, pays the private owner directly for the difference. Potential tenants do not need to contact HUD or their local public housing authorities to apply for these subsidized rentals. Instead, they apply directly to the owner.

The housing choice voucher program is offered through local public housing authorities, according to HUD. Approved applicants receive a voucher that they can use to help pay their monthly rent. Participants may use the voucher towards rent anywhere in the United States. Public housing is housing that is owned and operated by a local public housing authority. Applicants apply to their local public housing authority directly for a space in a public housing building.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions