How Do You Find Section 8 Condos for Rent?


Quick Answer

Participants in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program can use any housing search method to find any condo, apartment or single family home whose landlord agrees to participate in the program, as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development explains. Alternatively, low-income individuals can use the HUD search engine to find housing subsidized by local government agencies.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Those approved for the Housing Choice Voucher program are not limited to government housing projects and can instead search for any housing that meets the program's requirements, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Once a landlord agrees to rent to a tenant under Section 8, the local Public Housing Agency inspects the unit to ensure that it rents at a reasonable rate, matches the family's eligibility, and meets health and safety standards. The Public Housing Authority pays a share of the rent directly to the landlord, and the tenant pays the balance. To continue to participate in the program, the landlord must maintain the property and provide agreed-upon services according to U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development standards.

To help them locate low-rent apartments, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provides a low-rent apartment search engine for elderly and disabled people as well as families and individuals who meet the low-income criteria on its website. Visitors to the site's main page can use the tool by selecting Find Rental Assistance under I Want To and then clicking on Search for an Apartment under Need Help. They then select the state they want to search in and click Next. Finally, they specify their desired city, county, ZIP code, type of apartment and number of bedrooms needed.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions