How Do You Request Old Tax Returns From the IRS?


Quick Answer

To request a prior year federal tax return, fill out Form 4506-T, enclose a check or money order for $50 and return it by fax or mail to the Internal Revenue Service, advises TaxACT. Mail the form and payment to the corresponding address on the form. Alternatively, request a tax transcript, which is free; the tax transcript contains all of the same information that is found on a tax return.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To request a tax transcript, use the IRS' Tax Transcript Tool, advises TaxACT. The tool allows for fast access to an online version of the tax transcript, although it is also possible to request the transcript be mailed to the taxpayer's home address or faxed to a specific number within 10 days of the receipt of the request by the IRS.

A tax transcript contains much of the same tax return information, including marital status, return type and adjustable and taxable income amounts. Taxpayers may also fill out Form 4056-T and returning it via mail or fax to the IRS.

Notably, people who live in federally declared disaster areas are eligible for free copies of their tax returns under the IRS disaster relief program. More information about this program is available on the IRS' website.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions