How Do You Request a Duplicate Copy of Your W-2 Form?

Request a duplicate copy of your W-2 form by asking your employer or the payroll department for a reissued statement, which is a duplicate W-2, TurboTax says. You can also obtain a copy of your W-2 from the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Administration has copies of W-2 forms dating back to 1978, Turbo Tax notes. The forms for individuals who need them for a Social Security-related reason; otherwise, the SSA charges $37 per W-2.

You can also request wage and income transcripts from the IRS for free, TurboTax notes. The transcripts aren't exact W-2 copies, but they contain information that's reported on your W-2, with the exception of state and local information.