How Do You Report a Slumlord?

Report a slumlord by contacting both the local housing authority and heath and safety authority if a rental house is in poor condition. Before filing a report, document all damages, with photographs as evidence, and send a written request to the landlord to make the appropriate repairs.

A landlord must be given adequate time to respond to a written request, preferably two weeks, and only if he fails to respond can a report be submitted to the local relevant authorities. If the case is ruled in favor of the tenant, then rent payments can be legally withheld until the damages have been fixed. In some cases, the tenant may be able to sue the slum landlord through a small claims court.