Where Do You Report Employment Insurance Fraud?

To report employment insurance fraud, individuals can call Service Canada at 800-206-7218 or TTY 800-529-3742 toll-free between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and speak to a representative by pressing 0, according to the Government of Canada. Individuals can also write or visit a Service Canada office to report fraud.

Fraud occurs when individuals intentionally give misleading or false information about an employment insurance claim, explains the Government of Canada. Service Canada administers the employment insurance program that provides Canadians with short-term financial assistance while unemployed, pregnant, or caring for newborn or newly adopted children. Program funds are also available for Canadians who suffer illness or injury, or who provide support and care for family members who are seriously ill.

In the United States, the benefit is called "unemployment insurance," which has a completely different meaning and benefits coverage from Canada.