How Do You Rent a HUD Home?


Quick Answer

The Department of Housing and Urban Development's rental assistance subsidies are operated by local public housing authorities, and the application process differs between locations, according to HUD. HUD.gov links users looking to apply for housing subsides or public housing with their local public housing authority.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

There are three kinds of HUD housing subsidies: public housing, privately owned subsidized housing and the housing choice voucher program, according to HUD. Public housing is operated by public housing authorities directly. In privately owned subsidized housing, property owners agree to offer some of their rentals at a discount to low-income tenants. In exchange, HUD pays the owner the cost of the discount. A database of the rentals that take part in the program is available at HUD.gov.

The housing choice voucher program provides housing vouchers to approved applicants, HUD explains. The vouchers defray the cost of renting any house, apartment or condo that meets basic habitation standards. The public housing authority then pays the value of the voucher directly to the landlord. Vouchers can be used anywhere in the United States and are not limited to the jurisdiction of the local public housing authority. In some locations, the vouchers may also be used to help purchase a home.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions