How Do You Register a Complaint About a General Contractor?


Quick Answer

You can register a complaint about a general contractor with the Better Business Bureau and the state's attorney general by completing the appropriate online forms. If your state requires licensing for general contractors, you can complain to the licensing bureau via a process that varies by state.

Continue Reading
How Do You Register a Complaint About a General Contractor?
Credit: Alistair Berg Taxi Getty Images

Full Answer

The information required to complete a complaint includes details about the nature of the complaint, such as where and when it took place and the specifics of the incident, as well as names and contact information for both the complainant and the general contractor.

To locate the online complaint form for the Better Business Bureau, go to the Bureau's website at BBB.com and select File a Complaint from the Get Consumer Help menu. The form redirects partway through the process to the bureau for the state in which the general contractor operates, and the complainant ultimately submits the complaint at the state level.

To locate the complaint forms for a state's attorney general, use the Index of State and Local Consumer Agencies on the U.S. federal government website at USA.gov. Click through to the state in which the infraction occurred, and then click again on the link for the state's attorney general. Search for File a Complaint, and follow the instructions provided.

To find out if general contractors require specialized licensing in a particular state, go to Contractors-License.org, and click on your state on the home page.

Learn more about Business Resources
Related Videos

Related Questions