How Do You Receive a Workman's Compensation Settlement?

To receive a workman's compensation settlement, the worker and claims administrator need to agree on a settlement, the California Division of Workers' Compensation explains. Report the compensation case to an administrative law judge or an attorney to begin the settlement process, then accept payment based on the agreement terms.

The state of California DWC webpage lists two ways to get a settlement on a worker's compensation case. When a worker requests stipulations with his request for award, the worker and claims administrator decide how much money the worker needs for temporary or permanent disability per week. Workers receive settlement payments weekly, and the settlement usually includes full medical care coverage for the injury as the worker receives treatment. Another settlement payment option is compromise and release, in which the claims administrator applies one lump sum payment to the worker. This type of settlement includes estimated medical expenses, but any further medical expenses after the payment is applied are the responsibility of the worker.

Workers and administrators submit settlement agreements on official forms before making payments, the Iowa DWC elaborates. After claims administrators and all parties involved agree on a settlement, the settlement is final, unless the parties agree upon and file a stamped addendum to the original settlement.