What Professions Require a DOT Physical Form and Card?


Quick Answer

Any job requiring the employee to carry a commercial driver's license or anyone driving a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight greater than 10,001 pounds requires a Department of Transportation medical card and physical long form. The DOT medical card and physical long form are a requirement to secure a CDL, whether or not the position requires driving a DOT regulated vehicle. This includes supervisors, dispatchers, local route drivers and over the road truckers for Class A and B trucks.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Required paperwork for any CDL driver includes a valid DOT medical card and a physical long form, in addition to the daily vehicle log report and driver's hours worked log. Non-CDL drivers driving vehicles weighing more than 10,001 pounds gross vehicle weight are subject to the same DOT requirements. Those vehicles are considered non-CDL, DOT Regulated trucks. This includes Class A tractor-trailer combination trucks, Class B box and fixed axle trucks, buses and passenger vehicles transporting more than 15 people.

In addition to drivers, some jobs associated with these positions, including front-line management, dispatchers and mechanics, are also required to carry a valid DOT physical card and physical long form. These professions require employees to periodically drive CDL and DOT regulated trucks and vehicles.

Learn more about Careers

Related Questions