How Do You Get Overpaid Taxes Back From a County Assessor?


Quick Answer

Property tax refunds may be obtained by contacting the country assessor directly or viewing the county website for information about unclaimed funds, as reported by usa.gov. This information may be listed on a state website for unclaimed funds.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Unclaimed government funds must be claimed with the appropriate agency, according to usa.gov. Most states maintain a listing of unclaimed money and provide refunds when requested by the recipient. Property taxes are usually paid by property owners but some states assume an implied payment of property taxes in rent, as reported by the Minnesota Department of Revenue. The state of Minnesota, for example, provides a refund to renters of 17 percent of total rent paid. This refund is designed to ease renters' financial hardship caused by the payment of property taxes.

If the refund is owed by the state and not the county assessor then the taxpayer should apply with the state instead of the county, as stated by the Minnesota Department of Revenue. Contact information is available online and may require filing a form and providing personal income and tax information. These refunds vary by state and by the purpose of the refund. Each state department of revenue may provide more information about eligibility.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions