How Do You Find Out If You Have Unclaimed Government Funds?


Quick Answer

Each U.S. state maintains an unclaimed property office with a free database accessible to people searching for lost funds, states the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. Many states participate in MissingMoney.com, which directs searchers to the applicable state websites.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has a searchable database of unclaimed deposit and dividend funds from closed financial institutions, according to USA.gov. Those who had FHA-insured mortgages can find out if they are entitled to refunds by searching the online database, calling or emailing the Department of Housing and Urban Development, reports HUD. The TreasuryDirect website has a searchable database called Treasury Hunt, which maintains records of Series E savings bonds from 1974 and after that have not yet been cashed, states the U.S. Department of the Treasury. The Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation has a database of unclaimed pensions searchable by the pension holder's name, place of employment or state, reports the PBGC.

Funds administered by state unclaimed property offices include forgotten checking and savings accounts, uncashed payroll and travelers checks, stocks, distributions from trusts, and insurance payments and policies, according to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. States hold the money indefinitely for claimants. Because searches of individual state databases or government databases are free, claimants are warned to be wary of businesses offering to locate unclaimed funds for a fee.

Learn more about Bank Accounts

Related Questions