How Do You Find Out Where the Section 8 Rental Vouchers Are Accepted?

The local public housing agency can help someone with a Section 8 voucher find housing that accepts these vouchers, as the Department of Housing and Urban Development explains. Public housing agencies, which are funded by HUD, pay housing subsidies directly to landlords on behalf of families with Section 8 vouchers.

A list of local public housing agencies by state is available at the HUD website. Because public housing that accepts Section 8 vouchers is limited, most public housing agencies keep a long waiting list and may even close the waiting list if too many families are already signed up. Public housing agencies are not obliged to find housing for people in the order in which they signed up and may give preference to families who are homeless or involuntarily displaced, according to HUD.