Q:

How does the Ontario Disability Support Program distribute payments?

A:

Quick Answer

In March 2015, the Ontario Disability Support Program announced plans to stop distributing payments by check and to begin issuing payments on reloadable debit cards, according to the Toronto Star. As of March 2015, the exact date of this change was undetermined.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

As of 2015, 85 percent of Ontario Disability Support Plan recipients receive payments by direct deposit, according to the Toronto Star. The remaining 15 percent must pay a fee to have their paper checks cashed. The change to reloadable debit cards would not only save those recipients money but would also result in savings to the province, based on savings reported by Toronto city officials after that city implemented the debit card system. Plans for the Ontario Disability Support Plan reloadable debit card include no restrictions on how disability payments may be expended.

The amount of disability support available to Ontario residents varies depending on level of disability, living situation and family size, as the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services details on its website. Ontario citizens who are disabled and need financial assistance are eligible to apply for disability payments. The ministry website provides information on program services, along with addresses of local social services offices and a link to online application for assistance.

Learn more about Health Insurance

Related Questions

Explore