How Do You Find an Old 401(k) Account?


Quick Answer

To find old 401(k) accounts, investors should contact former employers with their names, social security numbers and dates of employment, advises the Denver Post. Alternatively, investors may contact their 401(k) administrators or search for unclaimed benefits through the National Registry for Unclaimed Retirement Benefits or the U.S. Department of Labor.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If an individual does not know the name of his 401(k) plan administrator, he can look for its name and contact details on an old 401(k) statement, or he can contact his old coworkers to see if they have that information, explains Rick Meigs, president of the 401(k) Help Center, in the Denver Post.

If he still cannot find the name or phone number of his plan administrator, he can search for the plan's details at FreeERISA, claims the official FreeERISA website. Using that search tool, an investor may look for old plans based on his zip code as well as the past or present names of the plan's administrator.

As of 2015, the database affiliated with FreeERISA has information from 2.6 million 5500 forms, reports the company's home page. Form 5500 is the contact form all 401(k) administrators have to submit to the United States government annually, explains the Denver Post.

Learn more about Personal Banking

Related Questions