How Do You Get an OLCC Permit?

How Do You Get an OLCC Permit?

An Oregon Liquor Control Commission service permit allows you to serve alcohol in restaurants, bars, nightclubs and other establishments. Obtaining it involves submitting an application, paying a fee, and taking and passing a course.

  1. Meet the criteria

    To get an OLCC permit, you must be at least 18 years old. If you are between 18 and 20, you can get a minor service permit, which allows you to pour and serve alcohol in establishments where food service is primary and alcohol service is secondary, but you may not work as a cocktail server or bartender. You do not need to already have a job to obtain an OLCC permit. If you prefer, take the class and get the permit first, and then find a job afterwards.

  2. Fill out the application

    If you have a job, fill out the application your employer provides. Your employer then signs the application and sends it in with the application fee. After submitting the application you receive a 45-day temporary permit. If you do not have a job, the application can be signed either by your instructor at the server education class or by a qualified person at your local OLCC office.

  3. Take an alcohol server education class

    Take a server education class within 45 days of submitting your application. If you take longer than 45 days, you will not be issued a second temporary permit. Once you pass the class and obtain a permit, it is good for 5 years. Afterwards, you must submit a new application and fee and take a new alcohol server education class. Shorter renewal classes are available in some areas.