How Do You Obtain a Copy of Your Form W-2 From the IRS?

You can obtain a copy of your Form W-2 from the IRS by submitting Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and paying the required fee, the IRS notes. The IRS provides copies of your entire tax return with attached W-2 forms. It takes about 75 days to process your request.

A W-2 form originates from your employer, which then sends the forms to the Social Security Administration, the IRS explains. Transcripts of your tax return are also available by mailing form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Transcripts are available for the previous ten tax years, and they are generally delivered to you within five to 10 days from the receipt of your request.

It’s possible for you to obtain copies of your W-2 Forms from the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration provides copies from 1978 to present, the Administration notes. They are free if the reason you need them is Social Security-related. Otherwise there is a fee of $37, as of 2015, for each year’s copy. When requesting copies, you need your Social Security number, your name as shown on your Social Security card, your mailing address, different names shown on the W-2, the year you need copies and daytime phone number. You also need to advise the Administration the reason for your request.