How Do You Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for a VA Home Loan?


Quick Answer

To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for a VA home loan, veterans or active duty military personnel must have documentation to prove that they meet qualifying service requirements, reports the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Additionally, they must not have been dishonorably discharged. They can apply for their certificate online through the VA eBenefits portal, through their home loan lender or by mail.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The service requirement for a VA home loan for active duty military personnel is 90 days as of 2015, explains the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For reservists and National Guard members, it is six years of service or 90 days of active service during the Gulf War. Military personnel, reservists and National Guard members can prove their eligibility with a statement of service signed by a qualifying officer from their unit or higher headquarters.

The service requirement for veterans of World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War or the Gulf War is 90 days. For veterans of the periods between these wars and the end of the Vietnam War until 1980, the requirement is 181 continuous days of service. After 1980, or 1981 for officers, the requirement is 24 continuous months. Veterans must submit DD Form 214, NGB Form 22 or NGB Form 23 to prove their service. Others who may qualify for Certificates of Eligibility include surviving spouses of veterans, cadets of military academies, Public Health Service officers and National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration officers.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions