Do I Need a Visa to Work in Hawaii?

American citizens do not need visas to work in Hawaii. However, any foreigner must acquire a temporary employment visa to legally work anywhere in the United States, including Hawaii.

When a job is waiting for the visa seeker, and an employer is willing to help bring him to the United States, sponsored work visas are the easiest to obtain. Skilled workers can get an H-1B through employer sponsorship, and temporary farm workers can sometimes get an H-2A visa through the sponsorship of a farmer or a company providing agricultural labor. Temporary labor jobs are reserved for citizens of specified countries, depending on the needs of the United States, so these visas are not available to everyone. A J-1 visa, which is designed for certain work-study exchange students, is another type of employment visa for a young adult who meets certain requirements.