How Do You Get Your Name Off a Joint Mortgage?


Quick Answer

To get off a joint mortgage, the other party needs to agree to release you of the financial responsibility or the argument can be taken to court for a judge to decide. At a tactical level, the mortgage must be refinanced to remove one of the two parties from it.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If the parties decide that they need to go to court, they will need to file a partition action. This is the best approach if people do not agree that they should both be out of the joint mortgage. The more affordable option, of course, is to agree to the change in mortgage ownership without having to add lawyers or a courtroom to the mix.

Learn more about Credit & Lending

Related Questions