How Do You Make Retirement Annuity Payments If You Work for the OPM?


Quick Answer

The Office of Personnel Management pays retirees their annuities through direct deposits or checks. To register for the direct deposit option or to change their account details, retirees can use the services online portal, as stated by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Using the online services portal requires a claims number and a password. The retiree also needs to indicate whether his account is a savings or a checking account. Other essential details that are required include the retiree’s account number and the financial institution’s routing number. The routing number is usually found next to an account number at the bottom of a check, notes the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. However, when a person is not sure about the routing number, he should seek clarification with his bank.

Another option for signing up for direct deposits is by writing to the Office of Personnel Management. The letter should include the claims number. A retiree can also submit Form 1199A or a direct deposit sign-up form to apply for direct deposit. Mailing addresses are used to send information about retirement to those who have registered for direct deposits and for sending payment checks to those who have not signed up for direct deposits, as claimed by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Learn more about Financial Planning

Related Questions