How Do You Make a HUD Housing Complaint?


Quick Answer

Fair Housing complaints to HUD are made electronically via the official website and by mailing a completed complaint form to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development office in Washington, D.C.. HUD complaints are also filed by calling the Fair Housing Hotline toll free number.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

An HUD intake specialist views the complaint and contacts you in to ask any questions that are not clarified in the initial complaint or to elaborate on the claim. Details are collected to help the specialist to determine whether or not HUD pursues the case.

If the case is pursued, a formal complaint and notice arrives in the mail. Read the instructions carefully and sign the complaint if all the information is true and correct. Return the signed formal complaint by mail to the address provided in the instructions. Within 10 days from the date you sign, HUD sends a copy of the complaint to the landlord listed. The landlord is thereby given 10 days to answer the complaint.

After an investigation, HUD makes a determination in the validity of the claim. If you do not agree with the decision HUD makes, there is an option to file an appeal. If there is a determination made of reasonable cause, a hearing is scheduled and a HUD attorney is assigned to your case.

Learn more about Real Estate

Related Questions