How Do You Find Low-Income Housing Complexes?


Quick Answer

On its website, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development allows users to find "affordable" apartments using a search tool, and it lists names and addresses of Public Housing Agency locations. Socialserve.com, described by KPLU as a nonprofit group, is another resource for finding affordable housing.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To find what the Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD, calls an "affordable" apartment, visit its homepage at HUD.gov. Move your cursor to Resources in the menu bar near the top of the page. As you hover over the word, a drop down menu appears. Select Affordable Apartment Search from the menu. Follow the prompts, and enter the information requested to receive a list of affordable apartments for rent in your area.

Alternatively, contact your local Public Housing Agency, or PHA, by phone, or make an in-person visit to learn about affordable housing in your area. To do so, visit HUD's homepage, and from the menu entitled "I want to..." in the middle of the page, select "find my local Public Housing Agency." From the next page, select your state. The website then provides you with the phone number and physical address of your local PHA.

To find affordable rental housing using Socialserve.com, visit its homepage. From the box entitled, "for rent - find affordable rental housing," select your state of residence. Then, as directed, select the county or city in which you reside. Follow the subsequent prompts to receive a list of affordable rental properties in your area.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions