How Do You Find a Lost Pension?


Quick Answer

Locate lost pension plans administered by private sector employers through the search engine on the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation website. Other places to look for lost pensions include the Employee Benefits Security Administration, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The PBGC recommends using its search engine to locate lost pensions by the last name of the employee, the company or the state. Although the PBGC insures pensions offered by employers that pay specific monthly amounts at retirement, it does not insure contribution plans, such as 401(k) plans, Individual Retirement Accounts, government pensions, military pensions or pensions for professional practices. Use the Employee Benefits Security Administration searchable database to locate lost 401(k)s and other types of pension plans, recommends the U.S. Department of Labor.

Search for unclaimed military pensions through the Veterans Administration if you are a veteran who is elderly with limited income, completely disabled, a nursing home patient or receiving Supplemental Security Income, as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs suggests. Search for lost pensions in state unclaimed property offices using MissingMoney.com, a search engine administered by the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. Alternatively, search state unclaimed property offices individually by using the interactive map on the NAUPA website.

Learn more about Financial Planning

Related Questions