The IRS mileage rate in 2013 for privately owned automobiles for business was $0.56 per mile, according to the U.S. General Services Administration website. The IRS also offers mileage rates for government-owned vehicles, motorcycles and airplanes, as well as different rates for business, medical or moving and volunteer purposes.
The IRS updates mileage rates yearly, and the 2013 rates were effective from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013, states the eFile website. The 2013 mileage rates were:
- $1.33 per mile in airplanes
- $0.56 per mile for business reasons in privately owned vehicles
- $0.53 per mile for motorcycles
- $0.24 per mile in government-owned vehicles
- $0.24 per mile for moving or medical reasons in private vehicles
- $0.14 per mile for volunteer or charitable reasons in private vehicles