What Institutions Give Emergency Aid for Electric Bills?


Quick Answer

As of 2015, institutions giving emergency aid for electric bills include USA Cares, the Salvation Army and the United States government through its Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Each state administers its own LIHEAP program that provides emergency financial help to prevent disconnection of energy services, or gives continuing financial help with utility or heating bills. The National Energy Assistance Referral at 866-674-6327 or TTY 866-367-6228 helps individuals locate the office closest to them.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Operating for more than 30 years, USA Cares provides emergency utility bill help to veterans, members of the National Guard and Armed Forces reserves, post-9/11 service members and their families. The emergency assistance program makes grants to meet needs that arise due to military missions or service. People can submit grant requests through the nonprofit organization's website, USACares.org.

The Salvation Army operates several emergency utility and energy assistance programs that provide financial aid to families throughout the United States. The Midwest division of the worldwide organization sponsors programs such as HeartShare, which provides help with heating and electricity needs in Minnesota and North Dakota. Other programs, such as PeopleCare and Share the Warmth in Michigan, help individuals and families facing crises. Applying a holistic approach, the Eastern division of the Salvation Army offers emergency help with utility bills and combines it with other forms of assistance.

Learn more about Household Budgets

Related Questions