Suzuki Loom Works, the company that was to become Suzuki Motors, was founded in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan in 1909 and reorganized in 1920. In 1937, the company began a project to build compact prototype cars. In 1952, it entered the motor vehicle field with the launch of a motorized bicycle and changed its name to Suzuki Motor Company in 1954. In 1963, it established a direct sales subsidiary in Los Angeles.
Founded in 1909 by Michio Suzuki, the company built weaving looms for Japan's silk industry. Twenty years later, Suzuki invented a new type of weaving machine, and the company focused on the development and production of these machines.
By 1939, Suzuki had developed prototype cars powered by a liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-cylinder engine. The engine generated 13 horsepower from a displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters. Production of the cars was halted due to the onset of World War II.
In 1951, the engineers of the Suzuki Loom Manufacturing Company began designing an engine that could be attached to a bicycle. In 1952, the company launched the Power Free 36-cubic-centimeter, two-cycle motorized bicycle. The following year, the company introduced a 60-cubic-centimeter version of the motorized bicycle, and its monthly production exceeds 6,000 units.
In 1963, the company entered the American motorcycle market, as U.S. Suzuki Motor Corporation. In later years, production and sales spreads to India, Thailand, Europe and Pakistan.