Raymour & Flanigan originated in 1947 as Raymour Furniture Company, a family-owned store in Syracuse, New York. Founded by brothers Arnold and Bernard Goldberg, Neil Goldberg attracted an extensive customer base in the early 1970s by introducing tactics such as bargain pricing, credit-based buying and elaborate decorative showrooms.
Additional family members joined the business over the following decades, and by 1986, Raymour Furniture Company expanded to Liverpool, New York, with a 200,000-square-foot distribution center. The company gained its well-known moniker after acquiring 14 Flanigan Furniture stores in the 1990s, an expansion that transformed Raymour & Flanigan into New York's largest furniture retailer. During the same decade, the purchase of Furniture Unlimited locations led to the establishment of Raymour & Flanigan stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England.
The Liverpool distribution expanded to 600,000 square feet in the early 2000s, and the launch of a consumer website introduced the company to a national audience. The company also established over 50 new locations in the Northeast, leading to Raymour & Flanigan's first Manahattan store in 2007 following the acquisition of Alpert's Furniture.
In 2007, Liverpool became a hub for associate training at the company's Leadership Development Institute, and in 2008, the company opened clearance centers and ENERGY STAR-certified showrooms. As of 2015, Neil Goldberg continues to serve as the President and CEO of Raymour & Flanigan.