Bernard and William Golub and Joseph E. Grosberg began Price Chopper Supermarkets as Central Market in 1932. In 1943, the Golub brothers founded the Golub Corporation and bought out Grosberg. In 1973, the Golubs initiated a series of innovations and changed the name of the company to Price Chopper.Continue Reading
The first Central Market stores opened in New York in Green Island, Schenectady, Watervliet and other areas. By the end of the 1950s, Central Market was a chain of 25 stores with innovative practices, such as S&H Green Stamps shopping bonuses for customer loyalty, the Empire State Red Label egg program and 4H and Grower Producer programs for local farmers. In 1973, Central Market discontinued the Green Stamp program, lowered prices and changed its name to Price Chopper Supermarkets to highlight its new emphasis on discount food.
Other innovations implemented in the 1970s through 1990s included a 24-hour open schedule, full-service meat and bakery departments and on-site pharmacies and banks. Price Chopper Supermarkets also experimented with laying out its aisles horizontal to the cash registers instead of vertical, but changed the layout back due to customer preference.
In November 2014, Price Chopper Supermarkets announced that it was changing its name to Market 32 to reflect an emphasis on upscale food products, although the name change is expected to take several years to implement. The chain has more than 130 stores in the United States as of 2015.Learn more about Corporations