How Do You Find Grants Available to Students in Your Local Area?

Find grants in your local area through state grant agencies, college and career school aid offices, and private or nonprofit organizations, recommends Federal Student Aid. The website of the U.S. Department of Education,, has a directory of state offices that help students locate grant opportunities.

Individual states have various local grant opportunities that you can find by contacting an office of the U.S. Department of Education, according to Federal Student Aid. To access the directory of state offices, go to, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on ED Offices under About Us. Use the interactive map or the drop-down menu to access the directory listings for the state about which you need information. Contact local colleges, career schools, non-profits and private organizations directly to inquire about these grant opportunities.

To apply for state, college and local financial aid, such as grants, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, as Federal Student Aid recommends. By filling out the FAFSA, you also become eligible for federal student aid grants, such as the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant and the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant.