How Do You Get Government Grants for Home Repair?

Apply for home repair grants offered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Eligibility for the grants depends on income, age and location, according to Geoff Williams for U.S. News & World Report.

USDA's Very Low-Income Housing Repair program provides loans and grants to homeowners for home repairs and improvements. For homeowners 62 and older, USDA offers the Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Grant. This money may be used for repairs that improve the safety of the home, make the home healthier or make the home accessible to residents with disabilities, says Williams.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development administers community development block grants that finance affordable housing, renovation and home repairs, states Williams. HUD grants vary by location. HUD's Choice Neighborhood initiative provides grants in areas with low incomes and distressed housing, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Many grants are available for home repairs that improve energy efficiency, explains Energy Star. Federal agencies with funding available include the USDA, HUD, the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. State housing finance agencies also have grant funds available, and low-interest loans for home energy improvements are available in many states.