What Forms Do You Use to Claim a Child Tax Benefit?


Quick Answer

The Internal Revenue Service's schedule 8812 is the appropriate form to file to claim a child tax credit of up to $1,000 for each child, according to IRS.gov. Taxpayers must file form 2441 to obtain a credit for child-care expenses they incur while they work. Taxpayers must attach these documents to their form 1040 or 1040A tax returns.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To claim the child tax credit, a taxpayer must claim the child as a dependent, and the child must live with the taxpayer more than half the year. In addition to the taxpayer's own children, the child tax credit can apply to stepchildren, grandchildren, nieces and nephews who qualify, the IRS explains.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions