What Are the Forms for Filing a Mechanic's Lien?


Quick Answer

The forms needed to file a mechanic's lien is a mechanic's lien form, Rocket Lawyer notes. Other names for a mechanic's lien include a laborer's lien and a contractor's lien.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

When someone spends time working on property or money on material for that work, he may acquire a security interest in that property by placing a mechanic's lien, Legal Information Institute notes. The lien stays in effect until the services and material are paid for. Failure to pay for the material and services as agreed may allow the lien holder to keep possession of the property in question. This can involve a motor vehicle, or in the case of real estate, the lien holder can recoup his money out of proceeds if the property is sold.

Generally, suppliers and subcontractors provide notice to the property owner that describes the goods and services being contributed to the project, Nolo explains. The notices are not a lien but just information to the property owner regarding what payments may be owed at the end of the project based on the supplies or services offered. If the contributor is not paid after the work is complete, he can file a claim of mechanic's lien, which allows the contributor time to work out a payment plan with the owner. It's possible that if no payment is made and the contributor enforces the lien, the property could be sold at an auction.

Learn more about Credit & Lending

Related Questions