What Form Do You Use for Capital Gains Tax?


Quick Answer

Capital gains as well as capital deductible loses are reported on Schedule D of Form 1040. All types of capital gains are taxed, but only some capital losses are deductible.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Internal Revenue Service publishes information on the official government website about capital gains and losses. It publishes several documents to help taxpayers understand exactly what counts as a capital gain or deductible capital loss. The IRS also includes information explaining how to fill out the forms correctly. The related publications provided by the IRS to help taxpayers report capital gains include Publication 551, Publication 505, Publication 523, Publication 544 and Publication 17.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions