The Henry Ford II World Center serves as the corporate headquarters of the Ford Motor Corporation. The center is a 12-story, glass-faced office building able to accommodate a staff of approximately 3,000 and known locally as "The Glass House." The Henry Ford II Center is located at 1 American Road at Michigan Avenue in Dearborn, Michigan, and is close to Ford's Rouge plant, the Henry Ford Museum and Henry Ford's personal estate.Continue Reading
Construction of The Henry Ford II World Center was announced in 1950, although building moratoriums in place during the Korean War delayed construction. The ground breaking ceremony for the building occurred in 1953 with construction efforts concluding three years later. The Center consists of the main building as well as a three-story structure housing the employee cafeteria, dining rooms and parking space.
Architects Gordon Bunshaft and Natalie de Blois designed the building and William L. Pereira oversaw layout of the complex. The Henry Ford II Center originally occupied 120 acres, some of which previously belonged to Henry Ford's private estate. The main building features an air conditioned interior, escalators providing access to the first seven floors and movable partitions to optimize interior space. The building also features structural support columns located along the building's exterior wall and within the inner core, providing a clear layout for the interior office space.Learn more about Corporations