What Does Flood Insurance Cover?


Quick Answer

Flood insurance covers damage and loss to a building and personal property as a result of a flood, according to the National Flood Insurance Program. Building insurance and personal contents insurance are the two components of flood insurance, and property owners must purchase each separately.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Building property insurance covers the structure and foundation of the home, plumbing, electrical systems, air conditioning systems, heaters, appliances, blinds, carpeting and flooring, according to the National Flood Insurance Program. Building insurance also covers detached garages as well as bookcases and cabinets that are permanently attached to the wall. Personal contents insurance covers personal belongings, window air conditioning units, washers and dryers, portable dishwashers and microwaves, and up to $2,500 for valuables, such as furs and art.

Neither type of flood insurance covers mold and mildew damage caused by moisture that the owner had the ability to prevent, states the National Flood Insurance Program. In addition, outdoor structures and property including decks, hot tubs, pools, vehicles and septic tanks are not covered by flood insurance.

Flood insurance is required for homeowners and renters who live in designated flood zones, states the Insurance Information Institute. It is not included in a regular homeowners or renters insurance policy. As of 2014, the National Flood Insurance Program provides $250,000 of coverage for building insurance and $100,000 of coverage for personal contents.

Learn more about Insurance

Related Questions