The first McDonald's restaurant was opened in 1940 by brothers Dick and Mac McDonald as a barbecue establishment in San Bernardino, Calif. The restaurant opened as a drive-through featuring a large menu.
In 1948, Dick and Mac McDonald closed their restaurant and reopened it three months later with a smaller menu consisting of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, soft drinks, milk, coffee, potato chips and pie. In 1949, french fries replaced potato chips, and milk shakes were also introduced. In 1954 Ray Kroc joined the McDonald brothers as a franchising agent. Mr. Kroc went on to open his first McDonald's in Des Plaines, Ill., in 1955.