How Do You Fill Out and Submit Form 941?

To fill out form 941, enter your name, employer identification number and address, according to the IRS. If you are a sole proprietor, you can enter your social security number in lieu of the employer identification number.

If you are using an employer identification number, or EIN, enter your business name, instructs the IRS. If you are a sole proprietor, enter your name and social security number. The EIN helps the IRS identify when taxes need to be paid by different businesses. It is assigned to partnerships and corporations, while sole proprietors have a choice whether or not to use it.

When filling out form 941, use a minus sign for negative amounts and leave spaces blank when the value is zero, according to the IRS. Don't add decimal points or dollar signs for the amounts. Add the name and EIN or SSN to all pages of the forms, including attachments.

The 941 form can be filed electronically with the rest of the tax return, but if filed online, it requires an EIN, states the IRS. Sole proprietors without an EIN must file this form as a paper return. If the business name has changed from the previous year, enter the new business name on the form with the correct EIN and inform the IRS of the change. Send the Change of Address or Responsible Party-Business form 8822-B to announce the name change.