How Do You Fill Out a Federal Grant Application Form?


Quick Answer

Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form through FAFSA.gov to apply for student financial aid, including federal grants, or complete the registration process and application package required through Grants.gov for work-related federal grants for a person or an organization. These application processes are significantly different.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The U.S. Department of Education Office of Federal Student Aid develops and processes the FAFSA that future and current college or career school students can complete online through FAFSA.gov. They can also apply on paper to receive consideration for various types of Higher Education Act Title IV funding, including grants, loans and work-study.

Completing the registration and application package through Grants.gov to be considered for work-related federal grants is a much more complex process than applying for student financial aid. An organization or individual must have or obtain a DUNS number for each business location through the Dun & Bradstreet website to complete step one of the registration process. Step two requires that the organization be registered with the System for Reward Management. The organization can then create a user identification, password and develop an organization profile through the Get Registered page of Grants.gov.

Grants.gov then sends an email to the identified E-Business Point of Contact who must respond in order to become the Authorized Organization Representative. This representative can search Grants.gov for grants, then follow the steps to complete the application package.

Learn more about Insurance

Related Questions